Indianapolis Star reports:
Fire investigators say that someone who set items on fire in a men’s room stall at Goodrich Quality IMAX Theatre last night caused $25,000 in damage, and that damage would have been more extensive if not for the sprinkler system.
About 400 people were in the 16-screen theater in the Hamilton Town Center mall when the fire started, according to a Noblesville Fire Department press release. That department and the Fishers Fire Department were called to the business at 8:20 p.m.
Moviegoers and staff were evacuating the theater when firefighters arrived, said Rick Russell, Noblesville fire division chief, in the release. The 70,000-square-foot, 3,200-seat building that opened April 4, 2008, was filled with smoke but the fire crews found that the sprinkler system had contained and extinguished the majority of the fire.
UPDATE 1: WTHR Indianapolis offers a bit more info:
“It was quite a mess, but everyone was very accommodating. My staff did a very good job of going through all the theaters and getting everyone out of the building quickly and safely,” said manager Mitch Ross.
Investigators were working to determine who set the fire.
UPDATE 2: WISH-TV Indianapolis covers the story in this video:
UPDATE 3: The Indianapolis Star reports there have been no arrests made yet for the Noblesville IMAX fire:
Noblesville Police detectives continue to investigate Wednesday night’s fire at Goodrich Quality IMAX Theatre.
Fire investigators say that items set on fire in a men’s room stall started a blaze that caused $25,000 in damage.
Police Chief Kevin Jowitt said late Thursday evening that no suspects had been arrested. Two detectives assigned to the case continued their work that evening, he added.
The theater was open as usual Thursday.